Friday, April 23, 2010

Rental Reviews!

Today I am reviewing The Blind Side and The Lovely Bones. I am afraid that all my reviews will come about a month after the movie is released to video because I do Redbox. The commie movie execs and other large retailers don't like the fact that Redbox won't gouge the video viewing public, so are holding back new releases at least a month. Next week will be Sherlock Holmes!

The Blind Side: Best movie of the year? Nah. Feel good movie of the year? Sure. The fact that this movie was nominated at the Oscars makes me look for why it should have been. It was certainly better than District 9 and Hurt Locker. As you know may know, my opinion of a good movie involves the progression of some kind of plot and caring about the characters. I don't ask a lot from a movie.
The Blind Side does not disappoint in my criteria of enjoyable movie watching! Based on a true story of, current NFL player, Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron), this is his rise from living on the streets to finding family, football and success in what appears to be a heartless world. Sandra Bullock plays the rich socialite that takes the teenager into her home. This is Memphis, Tennessee and even though they don't show how hard it was for him to fit into a white upper class private school, it does not deter from the enjoyment of the movie. This is a feel good movie after all.
But because it doesn't show the prejudice he surely encountered as well as how hard it must have been on the other two children in the household that attend the school - I found it slightly lacking. This is not a meaty movie or even a message movie - just, dare I say it again, feel good movie.
Virtual unknown Quinton Aaron, plays the big young man with heart and an honest portrayal. He doesn't say much but when he does say it - you believe him. Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for this performance. I admit it is her best performance to date. Little Sandra is all grown up and acting. But an Oscar? Not for this one performance. She will need a body of work (ala Jeff Bridges) to really get the respect she is working for in Hollywood.
I enjoyed this movie and it left me feeling all warm and fuzzy.
MMM M1/2's (out of 5)
Other feel good movies I suggest: The Last Mimzy and The Astronaut Farmer.

The Lovely Bones: I always find it a shame to waste real talent on a movie especially the talents of Stanley Tucci, Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Michael Imperioli and Susan Saradon. But this movie has done it!
Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy) directed this plodding tale of a murdered girl that is stuck in the afterlife and slips in and out of the real life. Setting this movie in the 1970s was a good idea because it did drag out the murder investigation. There were no profilers, DNA testing or a missing children's database. I think that was clever and we know Mark Wahlberg wears (or doesn't!) the 70s well. That is where any creativity ends.
M. Night Shyamalan it ain't although it is trying hard to be through suspense. It also isn't What Dreams May Come, a brilliant movie about the afterlife (but have several boxes of tissues handy and be feeling emotionally strong).
I can't recommend this movie even with the cast.
M (for the cast) (out of 5 Ms)

No comments: