Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Men in Uniform

MOVIE REVIEWS:

The Guardian: I am not a Costner fan but I did enjoy this movie. It's standard military fare borrowing from everything from An Officer and a Gentleman to Heartbreak Ridge but they borrow well. The movie is about training new Coast Guard rescue swimmers. I like military movies that show the training they go through. And believe me to be a rescue swimmer...that training is no joke. There are some weak spots in the movie...basically anything that is not the training but it is bearable. And the special effects of the rescues in rough seas is awesome.
MM 1/2 M's

Flyboys: Set in WWI before the US joined in this movie follows a group of young American men who decided to join the French air corps. There are stunning visual effects of dog fights between these, basically, paper airplanes that are stand out. But otherwise...just a war movie with no one famous in it except Jean Reno.
MM

Flags of Our Fathers: Guess what? War is hell. Just in case you missed that in Saving Private Ryan and Wind Talkers - to name some recent war movies. I liked this movie. Not the best war movie and not the best by Clint Eastwood but if you are familiar with Eastwood's work (as a film maker) you will appreciate his mastery of once again capturing man's frailty. The story follows the three remaining flag raisers (out of six) on Iwo Jima. The photo is famous. And because of the famous and rallying photo the three remaining men leave the war and go on a bond drive tour. There are two Marines and one Navy Corpsman. I did not know that one of the raisers was a Navy Corpsman. It is not surprising. Corpsmen go right into combat with the SEALS and the Marines. Corpsman are the only Navy personnel that Marines respect (other than Chaplains). The three servicemen are damaged by their experiences that are shown through flashbacks. Because of the flashbacks it may be hard to follow the story but it's possible. I look forward to seeing Letters from Iwo Jima. I understand it is the better of the two films.
MMM

On a personal note...war movies are hard for me to watch these days. I know Navy Corpsman, Chaplains, SEALS, soldiers and Marines. I have served with some of them. Some have gone and come back already. Others are over there. Others stand a chance of going. I worry for them. I used to worry for myself until I got this job full time with the Navy. Now, I just worry for them. There is no glory in war...no movie can make it noble or full of valor enough for me to condone it. I just wait for the war to be over and my friends can be safe.