Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Big Game

I suppose I should write my accolades to Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy AFTER the Super Bowl...but I don't want to be accused of "bandwagoning."
I have been waiting for this Super Bowl since 1998 when Manning entered the league. Since then, the Colts have been my AFC pick every year. Even when I wasn't really into football...I was into Manning. When I moved to Tampa, I was able to move some of my affection over to my hometeam...the Buccaneers. So, every year I would root for the Bucs until they got knocked out of the playoffs (if they were in). Then go for the Colts.
I have to admit, that even I was starting to doubt Manning...can he pull it off in the "big" games? He seemed to choke.
I believe he has silenced some critics. Just some.
I am sure he is hurt by his critics but anyone that can do those credit card commercials has to have a sense of humor about themselves as well as be secure.
And let's not forget that Manning IS a brilliant quarterback. He will be in the Hall of Fame no matter what happens or if he wins a Super Bowl ring. Look at Dan Marino. Most people know his name and probably don't know he didn't win a Super Bowl (non-football folks that is).
Then there is Tony Dungy. The coach that really did get the Bucs to the Super Bowl. Sure John Gruden had them the Super Bowl year...but who's team was playing who's? Dungy gave the former "Yucs" more winning seasons than any other coach in the team's history and more playoff appearances. Tony Dungy was and still is a favorite son of the Tampa area. And everyone knows how he was fired...not nice.
In the end...and after the smoke has cleared on Sunday...there will be at least two class acts walking off the field. Maybe Bill Belichick should take a lesson from that...and please get rid of that damned hoody.

No comments: