Monday, February 5, 2007

A Dog Named Blue

Watching most children's programming is torture. Teletubbies, Doodlebops, Mickey Mouse Club House...the list goes on of mind numbing crap. There is some good quality out there like The Wiggles and Sesame Street. And then there is Blue's Clues.
Blue's Clues has been on for over 10 years and is a huge hit. Even before I had children I had heard of Blue's Clues. I had even passed by it while flicking through channels. I remember thinking...who would watch a show with a live action guy talking to a cartoon? Well, the show isn't for ME to watch...it's for pre-schoolers. And I have to tip my hat to them.
Every show follows the live action character or host (Steve and now, Joe) on his search for clues...known as Blue's clues. The audience (and host) are supposed to spot blue paw prints on various objects. The objects are then drawn by the host in his notebook. After he (and the audience) get all three clues, they can then figure out what the dog, Blue, is trying to communicate. Still seems kind of silly. BUT my son loves it! He has never interacted with anything so much. He happily sings the song about getting the mail or collecting clues. He now knows all his colors and can't wait to write in his own notebook. He even wants me to interact with him and the show at the same time.
I would have never thought this would happen. I was thrilled when the Wiggles taught him to dance and do some communicating through the movements they used. Now, my son even says "thank you" in sign language...just like on Blue's Clues. He is exactly the right age for the show and I urge any parent to introduce their child to Blue's Clues.
I am constantly learning as a parent and the most important thing I am learning now is how to listen. Really listen to my son...who finally has something to say.

No comments: