Wednesday, December 24, 2008

To be Grateful at Christmas

Today was a good Christmas Eve day. I got to spend the day with my husband, we went to lunch (turned out to be free as a customer appreciation day) and some fun last minute purchases. Unfortunately, this day brought a sad purchase. Sympathy cards. Four.
It does seem surreal to be filling out Sympathy cards on Christmas Eve. A night the star appeared in the east and led wisemen and shepherds to meet the Savior. But that is what I have been doing.
In between my filling out the cards is the joyful sound of my children waiting for Santa, helping their father put up lights (yes, still putting them up) and the singing of carols.
And I fill out another card.
The news of these deaths of family and friends of family seemed to be just to much. It was to much with just one this time of year. But not as bad a blow as to the family that had to deliver such news.
Today, in a Christmas card, came the news of the death of the son of friends in NJ. He was 18 and killed in a car accident on November 29th. I sobbed when I read the card and found the memorial card inside. I didn't know him. He was the son of my husband's friends from high school but he still kept in touch. They came to our wedding. But it just hit me in the heart. Maybe because I am a mother.
A couple weeks ago, while unpacking boxes of decorations, their card from last year fell out of a box (I save cards with the decorations for years). It was a funny card and inside was a lovely picture of their son and daughter. Every year we get a card with a picture and have watched them grow.
I am not writing this to make you sad. But to pass on what was said in their card this year after saying how beautiful our children are:
"Please give them each and extra hug & 'I love you' at night."
I will.
I am grateful.

No comments: