Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Streak

I have a secret. It involves a spy. A debonair, slick, well dressed spy, who is often shaken, not stirred. Yes, I have had a relationship with James Bond since 1973. I was young then but old enough to know that I had to have more.
In 1973 my father took me to see Live and Let Die at the Margate Twin. I was 6 years old and I had never seen anything like it. I recall commenting that I had never been so frightened in my entire life. I think it had to do with voodoo, witch doctors and wild special effects - on the big screen. Maybe it was a little much for a small child - but it didn't end there.
Since then, I have seen every James Bond movie AT the movies. Yes, it's only the big screen for me and James. My Dad usually took me and when I moved out on my own I would go many times by myself. Nothing would keep us apart.
Yes, Roger Moore was my first. And they say that you never forget your first Bond - he is usually the favorite carried through life. Sorry Sean Connery fans. But he never did it for me. I even liked the short lived Bond of Timothy Dalton. I think he should have had more chances. But then again - Pierce Brosnan - schwing! Remington Steele fans waited, for what seemed like forever, for him to be Bond. The part seemed a sure fit. Alas, some relationships are not made to last forever.
Now, I have a new Bond in my life - Daniel Craig - SCHWING! Okay, okay, there are hormones involved (You know how to make a hormone right?). Yes, hunkiness has come to the character. I welcome the change. Don't get me wrong - I dig debonair and someone who looks good in a tux but there is nothing wrong with looking good in a tight swimsuit!
My love for Bond movies transcends good looks and schwingability. There is no other series like it. And I feel no other streak like it. Sure, maybe you saw all the Friday the 13th movies at the movies (begs the question of - why?) but to each his/her own. But I have NEVER met anyone with my streak.
It's a small thing. But I think about all that has happened to me in the past 35 years and well...I don't see anything else that consistent in it.
And yes, I will walk across a room, stop and turn - pretending to shoot. Like the beginning of a 007 movie.

No comments: