Sunday, November 16, 2008

James Bond - The Movie Review

Quantum of Solace: This is hands down one of the best James Bond movies EVER! I mean really! I consider myself the big screen expert on James Bond (see my post below this one) and my expert opinion says - Go see this movie!
Daniel Craig bring James Bond to a new level. Forget Jason Bourne or the Transporter movies - Bond can take them all on. Craig isn't just another pretty face or bod. He is an actor who brings a level of depth and down right humanity to the part with a dash of cynical humor. He is also evenly matched to Dame Judi Dench as M. Don't look for Q or his gadgets in this movie. There isn't even Miss Money Penny. And no Aston Martin. There are plenty of the usual 007 stunts to keep every action fan happy, don't worry. And as usual, the opening sequence has a wild one.
Bond is up to his usual super spy antics but M is worried that he will go out for revenge because of the death of his main squeeze from the last movie. Don't worry if you didn't see it. I saw it and I had trouble keeping track of who the players were...but that didn't matter. There is also a young woman that is on the trail of revenge as well. She is a cool customer whom Bond runs into along the way and inadvertently leads him to who he was looking for. They make a good team.
Bond's revenge is not for who you or M thinks it is. And that makes for an interesting character study on the relationships of the main characters.
There is no doubt that this 007 is for a new generation. Don't get me wrong, Pierce Brosnan was definitely part of my generation's wish list for Bond. But I don't get hung up on that (after all there have been 10 Doctor Who's). The character has to evolve and grow with the times. In the old days the bad guys were Commies of all kinds. Now, the enemy isn't so easy to recognize and loyalty seems easier to buy.
Go see this movie, even if you have never seen a James Bond movie. You will be left wanting more.
MMMMM (out of 5 M's)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that car he was driving without the driver's side door an Astin Martin?
Joe Abraham

the movie mommy said...

I stand corrected!!! I would have sworn that was a Ferrari! Thanks!