Saturday, September 27, 2008

Enjoying Life's Moments

I could have titled this posting, "Enjoying Life's Small Moments," but since I have been blessed with my children - there are no small moments.
Yes, I am majoring in Theology but that is not why I chose "blessed" to described my children in my life. I chose that word because a blessing is a great gift from God, the Father, the Creator or whatever you want to call Him/Her. My children are the greatest gift and event that has ever happened to me. They are beautiful and full of wonder and questions about the world around them.
Occasionally it makes me sad to have to answer a future question like, "Why does Bill get to play football? I want to play to!" Do I really have to explain it is for boys? True some girls do play...but not in the NFL. Not that that is the hardest question I will ever get but she is starting to say she wants to play football.
They also have questions of joy for me like my son asking, "Mommy, where is God? I don't see him?" This came after I explained who God was and that he was often way up in the sky. He did later look out the window and exclaim that he did see God (don't doubt it).
Some moments I hope to remember for the rest of my life and I am sure will always bring a smile like the other night...
My daughter is potty training and the other night had a victory. As a reward we all had m&m's and danced to a boom box in the living room. My children each wrapped a blanket around their waist. Trinity said she was a princess and twirled around (like princesses do) and my son said he was the King and proceeded to dance regally. They danced with such joy! I had to dance as well! I was about to turn off the radio when "Young Americans" by David Bowie came on. A great tune. We just kept dancing by twirling, jumping and falling on the floor. The laughter was infectious. I thought, as I watched the delight of my children, that I never want to forget this moment.
Someday I might be blue and all I have to do is think of my "wild bunch," "angels," and "thing 1 and thing 2, "young Americans" and I will not be able to stop smiling.

No comments: