Sunday, May 23, 2010

SHREK Forever After

I was not on board with the first two Shrek movies. I didn't think they were all that and in fact, I thought the first one paled in comparison to the real brilliant animated film of Monsters Inc., released the same year. In spite of my low opinion on the wildly popular green giant - I watched the second one and then with great delight watched the third one. Shrek the Third redeemed the series for me. I know some folks that didn't warm up to it but I think you would have to be a parent to understand Shrek's anxiety of being a new parent and the baby humor that ensued. I wondered - could they do it again? A resounding - "yes!"
Shrek Forever After is great fun! Michael Myers, Cameron Diaz, Eddie Murphy and Antonio Banderas are back to lend their voices to the leading cast. Like the other Shrek movies there is humor in it for kids and definitly for adults to enjoy. And much like the third installment it deals with parenthood. In Forever After, everyday life is the same for Shrek: babies waking him up, feeding them, changing diapers and being interrupted every time he wants time to himself. Ah, parenthood! Shrek misses his old life as a scary Ogre and makes a deal that would change his life and everyone elses. Shrek finds himself the George Bailey of Far Far Away and at first, it is fun being scary again but then misses his family. No one knows him - not Donkey, Puss or Fiona. Shrek must figure out a way to make things right.
Alternate universe plots are always fun! Who doesn't like Spock with a beard? Red head Olivia? Well...anyway...with an alternate world a filmmaker can really have some fun with the familiar characters.
Shrek Forever After is a real treat. Go see it, laugh and feel good afterwards. I took my 4 1/2 year old daughter who wondered why I was laughing so hard at some of the scenes. Maybe when she is a Mommy she'll understand.
MMMM (out of 5 M's)

No comments: