Friday, May 8, 2009

STAR TREK

Star Trek is, in a word, GREAT! Okay, end of review. Just kidding! About the end of review part.
I am sure there are some Star Trek purists out there who are just looking for something to poo poo on about this movie. I really couldn't find anything.
I have to admit, it took me a bit to get used to it all...new Kirk, Spock, etc. But you will find yourself more than pleasantly surprised with how the movie unfolds. I was looking for more of the morality play that the usual Star Trek episode would bring - Gene Roddenberry's trademark. But there was enough story and action to cover anything I was expecting the movie to be.
I really can't say much about the movie with out giving away the whole thing. The beginning seems strained and searching for where the movie is heading but that is like that for a reason and you just gotta hang in there to find out.
We meet Kirk and Spock as children and then as young men both searching for where they belong. The rest of the crew is introduced and we are happy when the entire "family" is together. The actors do a good job with some of the biggest and hardest shoes to fill. And you will find out why Zachary Quinto had the hardest job and had to look the most like his character of Spock. Everyone knows that Leonard Nimoy is in this movie but I was surprised by how much he was in the movie and how his pivotal role is. That is all I will say about that!
I look forward to perhaps a director's cut because I have a feeling there was quite a bit cut out. I find it hard to believe that Winona Ryder would appear only in age make up as Spock's mother. We will have to wait and see.
The action is terrific and effects are right on. And there is more than a nod to the original Star Trek series to give tribute and well, accept the torch that has been passed to them. Leonard Nimoy appearing in this movie is indeed an endorsement and a torch passing.
When the cast of Star Trek: Next Generation made their first movie there was a tie in with the original series. Kirk and Picard even met, have an exchange and even fight the bad guy together. Not the best Star Trek movie but it was the end of the original series being the headliners. Leonard Nimoy had a large part in a two part Next Generation episode and even James "Scotty" Doohan appeared in an different episode (DeForest "Bones" Kelley also appeared in the Next Generation pilot but that was forgettable).
I am a die hard Trekkie and I accept that fact that in order for the Star Trek franchise to survive into another generation it must be taken over by another generation.
I look forward to the next movie!
MMMMM (out of 5 M's)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on all counts. (But I have to admit, I wasn't sold on Chris Pine as Kirk until about 2/3's of the way in.)
MWolfking

Denise said...

You've convinced me to see it P)

the movie mommy said...

Someone mentioned to me that Carl Urban was right on as Dr. McCoy. And that is very true. I was remiss in not mentioning his very convincing Bones. A tribute to Kelley in every way but he still made it his own.