Monday, August 25, 2008

Et Tu Bejing?

When I was heavily competing in Martial Arts tournaments I noticed a troubling thing...women's competition being shoved, pushed and man-handled out of the way for the men to compete. Most men judging these tournaments were Black Belts and were waiting themselves to compete. Black Belt men's competition is what everyone wanted to see. Notice I said "men's." True, women Black Belts did judge as well and had to leave their posts to compete. Then there was the problem of getting enough Black Belt men to judge us - our peers. They did so, begrudgingly. While watching us, their eyes were always sliding over to the other rings to watch their own students. By the time I was done competing, 15 years later, it was a little better. At least all women of all ranks weren't lumped together as they had been the past.
Then we come to the Olympics. I did expect more. The brutal facts appear to be that the viewing public doesn't want to see women's basketball, beach volleyball or swimming in prime time. That's PRIME time. If they do, they should say so. Sure, there were a few re-viewings of the women winning beach volleyball BUT the men's finals were actually being played in US prime time.
When did you find out the women won the gold in basketball? Did you know that? I saw it as a foot note in my sports section (the worst sports section I have ever seen). Did you know a woman won the gold in Judo? How about sailing? Fencing? These are all United States women! Yes, Yes, the women's gymnastics is on prime time. But isn't that a "girl's" sport? I hate to put it that way but men don't mind seeing girls in leotards...in prime time. Long live Title IX!
Do guys want to see a woman all sweaty and doing Judo? Maybe not. But I think it is something our girls and young women need to see - in prime time.

No comments: