Friday, January 4, 2008

Viva La Long Johns!

I'm cold. And I am going to continue complaining about it being cold...until it is warm. I shake my fist bitterly at the sky as I brace myself against face biting snow flurries and strong winds off the water. I'm cold.
With that being said, I am challenged by being a cold weather mommy. I never had to worry about coats, gloves, hats, boots, etc. I lived in Florida for 10 years and my son spent the first 3 years of his life in shorts and t-shirts. But now we live in Virginia - where it is cold.
I am challenged by things that seem silly like, getting a toddler in a car seat with a big winter coat, being late because of said bundling and making sure the kids are warm enough or not too warm. I never watched the weather forecast so much in my life. It's like every day I am expecting a hurricane (pretty much that is all we worry about in Florida). I watch and wonder about: Do I put them in a turtleneck or long sleeve t-shirt? And will the temperature drop 20 degrees as soon as it gets dark? (which is when I pick them up). I also think about running them out to the car with no coat - to make it easier to buckle them in or do I worry about them sweating under those coats? We won't even get into the allergies, ear infections, runny noses, coughs and pneumonia that all this winter weather has brought us.
The cold weather is a small concern on the grand scheme of things but something the movie mommy never had to worry about before. As for myself...I wear long johns. Yup, nothing fancy. No silk ones for me - just the usual waffle pattern ones. I wear them to work under my uniform, much to the amusement of my co-workers. And in an office with no heat - I have the last laugh.

No comments: