Friday, December 7, 2007

Finally Excited About Christmas

Nothing can be more annoying to the mother of an infant, baby or toddler than someone saying, "Is he excited about Christmas?!" What 8 month old isn't?! Duh! Parents out there understand what I am talking about. At my son's first Christmas, he was more interested in playing in the pile of wrapping paper. His second Christmas, he was more interested in laughing when someone broke wind. At his third Christmas, he actually got the fact that unwrapping a box meant something was inside for him. Now, he is almost 4 years old and is excited!
NOW, you can ask me!
He knows that Santa will come and bring him presents - he asks every morning if this is the day. He likes to watch the Christmas specials - his favorite, right now, is the original animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I have to start him out with the classics and it is so cute to hear him singing along. He loves to hear me sing Christmas songs and insists that the tree be plugged in every morning - like I need the encouragement. He loves the lighted train that is in our front yard and opening the drawers in the train Advent calendar we have. He is just starting to get that it is only one drawer a day. He loves driving around and looking at Christmas light displays. He is excited.
The great thing now is that my daughter (just turned 2 years old) is also excited about Christmas! I know it's because of my son's excitement. I don't know if she understands about getting presents...but she will get that figured out soon enough. She can't say "Santa" - instead she just points and says, "Ho, ho, ho!" (in an incredibly adorable little voice). She likes the lights on the tree and in the yard. She knows something different is going on around here...and it's happy.
Christmas really does take on new meaning when you have children and that new meaning has finally happened to me.
I always loved Christmas but now it seems, "Christmas means a little bit more..."

No comments: