Friday, November 9, 2007

The New Fab Four

Okay...so, I went to a Wiggles concert. If you are wondering what the heck I am talking about...don't feel bad. I never heard of them until I had children and found out the Wiggles were the biggest money making act in the world in 2005 (including CD, DVD, concert ticket and merchandise sales). They are HUGE. And I got the see them in concert. They have also been around for almost 15 years. Most children know them from their TV show or DVDs.
Without going into a large amount of detail...the Wiggles are four men from Australia that are musicians who also majored in early childhood education. I was turned on to them when my son was an infant. I was pretty impressed. The tunes are catchy and the foursome have a way with communicating with the children that is their own. The children really respond. I credit the Wiggles with teaching my son to dance and communicate...he was a late talker but could ask for a banana by rubbing his hands together (like in one of their songs about a smashed banana) at an early age.
There are three original Wiggles and earlier this year had to replace the fourth with an understudy (fans might know him as Professor Sing-A-Lotta-Song-A). A great choice. In concert they all get the job done.
On to the concert...
I have to admit that even I was excited when the Wiggles appeared on stage. I found my self whooping it up like I was seeing a rock concert - all the parents were. I mean I know all the songs as well as I know the songs from my favorite rock group and after seeing them on TV for over 3 years...I'm a fan. The toddlers in the audience were a mix between being mesmerized (like my daughter) and immediately dancing and singing (like my son).
After a few songs my son did get overwhelmed and had to leave the show for a while. He doesn't like crowds and I think the excitement and screaming were to much for him.
The Wiggles had very few special effects and a simple stage but lots of energy, dancers and all familiar faces. The Wiggles were joined by Dorothy the Dinosaur, Wags the Dog, Henry the Octopus (in large costumes) and every one's favorite pirate, Captain Feathersword. They performed all their hits including Fruit Salad, Rock-a-Bye Your Bear, Look Both Ways, Here Comes a Bear, Play Your Guitar with Murray, Shake Your Hips with Wags the Dog and Hot Potato. Yes, I know all those songs and all the words! My children especially liked the version of Captain Feathersword Fell Asleep on His Pirate Ship (Quack, Quack, Cockadoodledoo). By this time my daughter had really gotten into the show and was dancing up a storm. And my son was back in the party. The parents were amused by them going into the Can't Touch This riff and at the right place shouted, "Can't Quack this!" and shuffled across the floor in duck suites like MC Hammer.
The Wiggles had a great time on stage and the audience could easily pick up on that. They put as much or more into a show as any top performers that I have ever seen.
If you have small children and have been dreading seeing the Wiggles in concert...don't.
The BEST part of the whole experience was watching my children (song after song) dancing and singing. That's why every parent was there.

No comments: