Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Licensed to Recruit

As I finish up my final week of Recruiter school, I look back at the times I have had and the times that are to come. Because we are in our last week of school, we have a great deal of confidence, like being seniors in high school. We can see our exit...just ahead.
There are 13 of us (considered a very small class) receiving our Recruiter badge or "cookie" as it is known in the field...or "rookie cookie" as ours will be known - at first. The badge is about the size of a half dollar coin and is emblazoned with the seal of the Navy and the words Navy Recruiter. After 5 weeks of some excellent training - we feel we have definitely earned it.
It has been an amazing experience for me at this point in my career and life.
First, I have been immersed in to the Active Duty Navy life. Having been a Reservist for 8 years, I had never been to a Navy school or been actively participating with so many of my Active Duty counter parts. Needless to say, I am older than just about everyone, not just in the class but probably the entire building (there are always students rotating in and out of the 5 week program). With that in mind, I prided myself in being able to finish our 1.5 mile run ahead of other students.
Secondly, I discovered how un-hip I am. Shocking as that may seem to those that know me - it's true. My pop culture references (and jokes) are not in the same framework as my classmates. I am dated. My classmates on average are probably 25 years old. So, with that being said...I was pretty clueless. It was painfully obvious that I was un-hip and I didn't mind poking fun at myself by making references to taking Centrum Silver and drinking Ensure (I don't do either!). Thankfully there is Star Wars which seems to be a reference across the generations. But in the end, I was told I needed to see the movie Boondock Saints and the Dave Chappelle Show (season 1 & 2). I guess if you don't know what I am talking about...sorry...you are un-hip too.
Lastly, it was fun to see the future of not just recruiting but of the Navy and ultimately our society. These are sharp and well trained young people that are confident at their jobs and their mission. I know they will all be great Recruiters and when they are done recruiting they will head back out to the Fleet. I do wish them well.
On Friday I fly back home and on Monday I report to my Recruiting Station (office). I will start the first day of the rest of my career. I am nervous but feel I have been prepared the best way the Navy can.
The rest is up to me.
Stand by.

No comments: